Saturday, December 27, 2008

A trip to the ER. . .

. . . we ended up spending a good portion of the evening in the ER. Cole ended up having bleeding from his throat, after about 2 hours of watching him spit up blood clots (that we hoped would just go away) we thought it best to get him back to the hospital. (We did call and talk with the hospital several times also) After having several doctors look at his throat they all agreed the site on the left was bleeding (I could tell that and I don't have a degree, I have a trusty flashlight and a Popsicle stick, and I ended up with the same conclusion). As we sat there for hours of him spitting into a cup the bleeding was not as bad. They had called his surgeon to come in and look at him. We were hoping he would not have to go back into surgery and have them cauterize the area. When his surgeon got there and assessed the situation he was hoping he could take care of it without surgery. He asked Cole if he was feeling tough tonight which he said he was, they used a suction to remove a blood clot in the area and then went in with silver nitrate to stop the bleeding. After a little while there was no bleeding. The doctor hopes this will take care of the situation and he will just continue to heal. After it was over we had to wait for his IV to finish and then we were able to come home. All is well and he feels better he finally started to say a few words yesterday and now we are back to silence. I know in a week I will want some silence from him but right now I miss hearing his voice! I am so glad he has this time to heal and not have to worry about school!

6 comments:

kstalder said...

Oh, Cole! You are so tough. NO MORE ER'S GUYS! Not for dogs or kids. Hope you feel better soon.

Malissa said...

yuck jane it looks like you guys have had a very eventful Christmas break! Good luck Cole!

Ku'uipo said...

Yucky! Hope you feel better Cole! You are pretty tough because when we saw you on Christmas your voice sounded good. I bet it was the excitement...LOL.

The Chalmers Family said...

That's awful! Hope Cole's feeling better soon.

Lisa said...

Oh Jane, My heart goes out to you and COLE. I am so sorry for this scare. I hope he gets better soon. Let me know if there is anything we can do. We love all of you.

Just Us said...

Yikes! What a Merry Christmas vacation. Good thing Cole is tough.