Monday, March 9, 2009

My first day BACK to Junior High

We had warned Cole that if he was not meeting our expectations we would attend class with him. We have not ever followed through with the threat until we went to parent teacher conferences last week and decided maybe we should sit in on classes with him. What an adventure!
I have to say he was not happy about me attending school with him. He told me all morning how I was ruining his life. I would shrug my shoulders and continue getting ready to go to school. (I always thought it would be fun to go back to school but NOT to Junior High). On the way to the school he kept telling me I was not going and that I was just being a nice mom taking him to school, Not- I marched myself right to the office and got me a visitor pass. So as I sat there and observed all the students I came to the conclusion that Cole is just fine! I realize he may have been on "better" behavior than normal days but, I was able to witness students far more out of control. I did not tell any of the teachers who I was there to observe so I was able to see then treat him normally. I only told 2 of his teachers after class who I was. Those I spoke with told me how much they like Cole and what a good kid he is. He just tends to be WAY too social!
Now, I must say how surprised I was at how disrespectful ALL the students are. Every teacher had to get after their classes several times. The students would not even stop talking when asked. As a teacher I would be completely frustrated with constantly asking the kids to stop talking just to teach. It would completely disrupt the class no wonder they are not learning like they should the teacher is always having to shh someone before they can continue on. I was in the office and watched a girl (who had been caught texting) tell the office ladies she would not give up her cell phone. They then called the officer of the school to come in and get it from her and she still would not give it up. I don't know how it ended up they took her away into another room but I was blown away at how she first lied, second how disrespectful she was to adults. My kids have both had their phones taken away so I know it isn't fun for the parent to get it back! I do feel for the teachers, however I do feel there are too many students per teacher and they are not getting the attention they need. I'm sad our kids have to grow up in this environment. When I was in school it was bad but not this bad!!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

My dear Jane,
What a good mom you really are. You love and care about what happens to your children. I am sorry you had to have such a dose of reality today. It really is a tough world we are all living in. Wish we did have better options for our children but just keep being that good mom and they will be fine.
Love ya

Ku'uipo said...

That is great! I too would totally go to classes witb my children. It's only because you care. I used to work at a Junior High and it is just crazy. It is sad and this is why on a regular basis I wonder if I should just homeschoool. Great job to a couple of wonderful parents. You're kids are lucky...and they ARE good.
Love ya.

Linnae said...

Good on you Jane! Sean has threatened Talen several times to do the same thing but has never followed through. I read him this post and you have inspired Sean. You are a great parent! I wish I had your patience.

kstalder said...

I think that's awesome! I smiled thinking of Cole disbelieving all morning! So suprised the teachers would let you sit in class...Do other parents do that? Love the idea and hope it helps.

The Chalmers Family said...

I think you are awesome! I would love for more of my students parents to come in. I had a kid removed from my class for refusing to give up his phone. He got suspended for 3 days and removed from my class. They're pretty strict with it at our school. Your kids are lucky to have you guys as parents!