but we sure are LUCKY!!
Almost every year on St Patty's day the Leprechaun pays a visit to our house. When the kids were younger the Leprechaun left them a kiss on their noses. (When they entered Junior High that was the end of it they were tired of being made fun of at school) As well as the kisses he left behind he also left a trail of green candy to the treasure (which was the outfit for the day until Cole quit wearing PJ's and now it is just to a pile of candy, now they have to be dressed first) anyhow they would race and see who could pick up their candy the fastest. Always a fun tradition for our family.
Well I figured the kids were getting to old to keep doing this until yesterday when Cole asked me if the Leprechaun was coming. I said no and he got all sad and told me that this is his favorite holiday. So I told him I would go get him some green candy but I was not going to do the trail. What? He says the trail is his FAVORITE thing! So off the store I go to find green candy. Just so you know it is a very difficult task. It was easier when the bulk candy had more of a selection. I love doing fun things for my kids but I had no idea this simple tradition meant so much to the kids. So bright and early this morning they came running up stairs to collect their treasure and had a blast doing it. What they really don't know is that THEY are the Treasure!
St Patty's day through the years!
Since doing this I have only missed one year of doing the trail and that was the year my dad died. I had four of my nieces sleep over the Leprechaun still came and left them a surprise.

4 comments:
How fun! I love that he leaves kisses on their nose!
Jane, This is so cute, It is so funny how these little things mean so much. I never had the Leprechaun come as a kid. It was not until Preschool that I too had to start this tradition. I love the kids on the nose Idea. What fun, what a good mom to keep up the act because it means a lot to them.
I think those traditions are the funnest! Your never ever ever too old for them. Especially if it's something you do with just your family.. it's like your "thing" you always do with your brother or sister. Never stop the cheesy family traditions cause their the best and they will always look forward to them :)
I'm the worst mom! I do absolutely nothing for St. Patty's day. The kids are lucky if I wear green...You've inspired me to do better next year!
Post a Comment