Friday, July 18, 2008

Flashback Fridays

A friend of mine made a great suggestion for my blog so I am going to start a little something new. Thanks Marcia!!
"FLASHBACK FRIDAYS"
Since we are always doing our current events we tend to forget those things that happened in the past so I am going to set aside a blog a week (we'll see if it happens) for some memories of long ago. So my theme today is going to be my dad. . .My dad passed away in March of 2007 so still pretty new (one of the hardest days in my life). My dad was very involved with the state of Utah. He worked for the Forest Service, and the BLM. He was a Landscape Architect by profession his main title was a "Recreational planner" and his assignments were to design campgrounds in the state. He ended up designing MANY of the campgrounds that are in use in the state today, every time we would go camping he would mention he had designed this or that campground. He also said in those days they were not anticipating all the large motor homes and trailers out there today, in those days they were dealing with much shorter trailers! He was also involved with the Smokey the Bear program and was VERY involved with making the maps of our lovely state. I love to look at my dad's drawing, how neat and perfect they were and I especially love my dad's handwriting!
This is taken at our daddy/daughter date when I was 11. I still have the name tags we wore funny huh? I very much remember this activity.
I love this picture of Cole with my dad, you can see the love my dad has for him. It didn't matter Cole was the 17th grandchild they all felt the love no matter when they entered the family! Cole dug a huge hole out in my parents backyard years ago, my dad teased he was digging to China it was so deep it was taller than he was. My dad had to fill it many times and a couple of weeks ago when Cole stayed at my mom's to help her out he had to fill the hole in again it just keeps sinking!

Lovin' this picture of my dad and Madison. She has some experiences with my dad that are unforgettable! The picnic on my parents bed. . . if my mom knew she would be very upset, we were not allowed to sit on our bedspreads let alone have a picnic on it! My dad let Madison get away with anything. My dad played barbies with Madie something I never got to experience with my dad, he was busy making a living for our family so when he was home I'm sure the last thing he wanted to do was play barbies :) I got to spend time at our "barn" taking care of our rabbits, cats and chickens-very memorable times with him. Something I would never trade.

My dad hard at work. . .floating the Green River I think he was working for the Forest Service at the time.

(My dad is the one in the helmet)

My dad wanted to be a pilot, while serving in the ARMY my dad applied for pilot school and was accepted however he did not realize the additional years of service he would have and decided to fulfill his existing obligation to the ARMY and return to his life as a landscape architect.

I don't know that I had ever seen this picture before until I was going through my mom's pictures. My dad looks like he is older and his hair my be white already so we think he was working with the BLM at the time.

My dad was a phenomenal tap dancer. He and Madison could communicate in a language that seemed foreign to me. He loved watching Madison tap he was proud of her!

This was a picture of my dad and my siblings (I'm the little one) for the newspaper. My dad had done a sketch for the Home and Garden Festival in which my dad was very involved for many, many years.

This was the day we stood in the freezing cold to see the Olympic Torch come by. My dad is a true patriot and LOVES our country! I was reading his biography (a student did his thesis on my dad-thank goodness now we know more about him!) and found out in 1965 the state of Utah had their first serious notion to host the Olympic Games and wanted my dad to help design things since he had just got done with Alta and Brighton ski resorts helping them locate areas best suited for ski runs and chair lifts also designed their parking facilities and pedestrian routes for the increasing amount of people coming to the resorts. My dad was very quiet about his accomplishments, unfortunately I was not aware of all the things he did for this state but, it didn't matter I had the best DAD ever and I do remember all he had done for me and the example he has been to me and the rest doesn't matter he will always be my hero! The love my dad has for me is UNCONDITIONAL and I always knew that even when I was doing something wrong! I LOVE AND MISS YOU DAD!

5 comments:

The Chalmers Family said...

Thats such a cool flashback friday! What an honor and tribute to your dad.

Dave and Hollie said...

I didn't realize Grandpa had done so much with the state. He is the greatest man. I miss him. Thanks for doing a flashback of him.

tanya said...

That is such a great blog, whether you knew him a little or a lot it gave some insight to what he was like. It reminds me of what great dads we have, it made my eyes tear up. Thanks, it looked like he lived a great life. 'Til we meet again. I am glad we have each other for this club we didn't want to be in!

Just Us said...

What fun pictures and cool memories. Your dad was a really amazing person. Although I never met him, just looking at your pictures and reading about him, I have a lot of admiration for him. I wish the world was made up of more people like your dad.

Brandon and Krystyn said...

I had no idea that grandpa was so incredibly involved with so many things. He is incredibly humble. He is such a great man. THankyou for sharing this Aunt Jane!