Thursday, July 17, 2008

Girls Camp

I am back from girls camp at Bear Lake and had a blast. I'm sad I had to come home early but after the bike ride yesterday I am grateful to be home and not having to do any more exercise! We were told the bike ride was around 7 miles or so. . .round trip I thought so we all geared up and off we went. We headed toward Cisco Beach, after awhile we saw a sign that said 5 miles to Cisco Beach. The girls asked me how much longer and I pointed out the sign to them although in my head I was thinking maybe that was "another beach" because "our destination" wasn't that far away. We had 1 very large hill to climb, and many little ones. I was very proud of myself for making it up the hill considering I can not remember the last time I was on a bike. We had to pass a scout camp which our girls were very excited about we had to quickly get them passed without any interference. We finally arrived at the beach, we were all sitting down to eat our lunch and they let us know we had just rode 9 miles which meant round trip would be a total of 18 miles that's when it hit me I still had to do 9 more. I thought I was going to be in trouble and not have the energy to make it which to my surprise was not a problem, my legs really didn't hurt but my butt sure did. I needed to have a much larger seat! Every single girl who started the bike ride finished we were so proud of all our girls! (I am also proud of myself I might add I thought 7 or so would be tough!)Madison's bike ended up getting her all dirty. Not sure if it was paint from the bike or grease. The girls put some of it under their eyes like war paint so they were all dirty!We had a great time out in the water. I always have a camera in my hand so I did not go out to far when the girls were playing in the water but, when we went in the boat I got some great pictures of them falling off the water weenie. The cold water was a shock to your body when you hit the water, it definitely takes your breath away but we all loved it! Last night we had the best devotional! Since our camp theme is "ARMY" A Righteous Mormon Youth we had the opportunity of retiring a flag. What an emotional experience! I volunteered to cut the flag and thought it was no big deal until all the patriotic music started to play and I thought about what our flag stands for, I was also thinking about the flag that laid across my dad's casket and what an honor that was to him. I have also been taught (like everyone) a flag does not touch the ground and should be treated with the up most respect and here I was cutting one into pieces with tears streaming down my face. A moment I will remember forever!

I was a little apprehensive about going to camp since I am the mother of one of our girls however, it was fun to be at camp with Madison! It is fun to watch her interact with all the girls and leaders. I love her so much and am grateful for the opportunity I had of being able to attend her first girls camp with her. I hope she feels the same way! I did see a little girl drama and as a mother I was upset but as a leader I would have never known. All is well because I have such a strong hearted daughter who never likes anyone to be upset. Sometimes it's hard to seperate mom/leader for both of us, I would choose mom over leader any day!!

1 comment:

The Chalmers Family said...

Camp was so much fun! I still can't believe we rode 18 miles, my tush still hasn't forgiven me for that. You take amazing pictures, I can't wait to see the rest from camp!